Staying in for the Holidays? Please take note of these 5 Kitty Care Tips to keep our Slinky Cats safe and comfortable during this time of year!
- Plants – Poinsettias and Lillies, although a gorgeous reminder of the holidays, are unfortunately HIGHLY TOXIC to the kitties we love. Luckily in sunny San Diego, we spend a lot of time outdoors, even in December, so we recommend placing them outside your front door or on your patio table, far out of kitty’s reach. However, if you suspect for a nanosecond that kitty ate a toxic plant, please call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center Phone Number: (888) 426-4435; there is a small fee to do so, but it can be life-saving. For a complete list of toxic holiday plants, please check here: https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/cats-plant-list.
- Holiday Foods – Is your Slinky Cat food driven and always tends to be underfoot in the kitchen? Then surely they think they may have hit the mother lode on a holiday! The smell of turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, and butter is sure to lure kitty into the cooking zone. If foods are rich for us, they will be for kitty too. And our cats are definitely not used to seasonings or sweets. So please take care and make sure kitty only gets the foods they are used to. Many foods can cause upset tummies, bathroom issues, and even pancreatitis. This list is helpful to keep in mind: https://www.catster.com/cat-health-care/holiday-foods-that-are-not-safe-for-cats
- Kitty Stressors – Our purrbabies are creatures of habit and routine, so you can imagine they can feel a bit out of sorts with lots of company, children, and fiesta (party) noises. The best way to ensure they are comfortable is to create a safe space, maybe their cat room or your room. Move your Google or Alexa in there and softly play one of our favorite playlists, Peaceful Piano, Bossanova, or Miami Chill radio on Pandora or Spotify to help cancel out unfamiliar noises.
- Holiday Decorations – A Christmas tree looks like a trip to Disneyland for a little kitty. Shiny objects, lights, the fresh scent of pine, and the outdoors. What a kitty wonderland! Or a Christmas nightmare unfolding. We recommend securing your tree to the wall with string if you think kitty’s weight may bring it over. Skip ingestible decorations like tinsel and small ribbons. Glass ornaments should be well-secured and not low to the ground. I know this challenge first hand, as one of our kitties loves to eat plastic, so for years, I had a fake LED Cherry Tree as our Christmas tree. Another kitty loved pawing the low-hanging ornaments, so we put a box with plastic decorations under the tree just for him. Speaking of boxes and wrapping paper, ribbons are very dangerous for our purrbabies if ingested.
- Candles and Fireplaces – There is an old saying, “Curiosity killed the cat”…. A great reminder during the holidays. If kitties aren’t used to seeing the fireplace and your home all lit up, be sure to protect them from their curiosity. Whiskers, paws, and fur could get singed and/or candles knocked over.
You and your Slinky Cats are part of our family too. So when in doubt about the health and well-being of your fantastic felines, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us. We have experience and great resources to help if/when needed.
Last Call to Schedule Care for your December Travels
Our kitty calendar for December is filling up faster than Santa’s Elves can wrap packages. Tis the year to BE with family and friends near and far!! So please don’t delay booking your purrbabies Winter Wonderland Kitty Staycation! We promise to make it a pawsitive experience for all, as Peace of Mind Kitty Care is our Motto and the driving force behind what we do as expert kitty caregivers.
We’re so Thankful for How Ameowzing You Are!
As Slinky Cat at Home embarks on our 5th year in business (yes, I know… Unbelievable!!), please know that our hearts are filled with Gratitude for you, our ameowzing clients, and the hundreds of Fantastic Felines that we love to call our Slinky Cats.
Thank you for inviting us into your beautiful homes and entrusting us to care for your purrbabies. It’s an honor to do so. We are grateful to spend the holidays with each and every kitty. We find joy in learning about the many ways and reasons behind your travels. Family milestones such as engagements, weddings, births, and, sadly, family goodbyes. Empty nesting trips to faraway exotic places. Spring breaks overseas. Sailing to Catalina and receiving videos of the dolphins spotted along the way. International work trips and fun trips. As for the Slinky Cats in our care, we have watched them grow up and grow old (goodbyes are never easy). We have rescued a few, saved Slinky Cats in crisis, and helped you welcome new purrbabies into your families.
Together we celebrate cats every day and share in a genuine love of cats.
Thank you all; we love you and your kitties so much!
Hugs and Purrs,
Carmen and The Slinky Cat Team